Sunday, July 01, 2007

If only the rest of the wait had gone this quickly!

We have been insanely busy the past few days getting ready to travel. We're feeling joyful, panicked (in terms of finishing things at work), excited, nervous...also thinking a lot about Ryan's birthmother...just generally very emotional. I've frequently been getting teary with anticipation. Rob is already planning our "adoption video," and I choke up every time we talk about it, and at other random moments when I think about the moment -- incomparable to anything I have ever experienced -- when I will first hold my beautiful son.

Although I've been buying baby clothes over the past few months, it didn't fully sink in that there is actually going to be a baby living in our home until yesterday, when I purchased diapers and baby wipes for the first time in my life :-) Maybe the clothes alone didn't do it since I've purchased baby clothes many times before as gifts for others.

On another note, I have to comment that I am amused at how many people (at least 3 so far in our encounters) confuse Taiwan with Thailand, and the term "Thai" for Taiwanese. A woman who knows of our adoption commented to me today that she liked Thai food, and referred to the coconut milk and lemongrass "they" use in many of their dishes.

Speaking of food, we're really excited about that aspect of the trip too -- also fantasizing about the fabulous tea I'll get to drink (and I'm sure there will be a Starbucks within walking distance of the hotel for Rob the coffee-drinker). As for the food, I can't say for sure that I'll be brave enough to try the "stinky tofu" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu), but maybe I will, just to say I did. We can't wait to try the beef noodles a fellow blogger mentioned. A Yahoo search for "Taiwan beef noodle" seems to indicate that it's a soup (http://www.sinica.edu.tw/tit/dining/0396_Noodle.html), and if it's anything like Vietnamese pho, we'll be seeking it out for every meal!
We're also hoping to find some shave ice (http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ShaveIce.htm), which we became addicted to in Hawaii during our honeymoon, and learned that it can also be found in Taiwan, in an even fluffier form called "snowflake ice."

We'll have 6 full days in Taiwan, and Ryan will be with us for 5 of them. We hope to experience as much of the culture as possible, but our activities will, of course, revolve around Ryan's routine and whether he seems to enjoy being out and about or prefers the quiet environment of the hotel room. Either way, we're so grateful that we'll have those several days just to be with each other as a family without any of the distractions of daily life at home.

Oh, and happy 9-month "birthday", Ryan! We're so happy that we'll have you with us before the next one!

8 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger shelley said...

I am so excited about your trip. I know your hands will be full (as well as your hearts) but we would love to see pictures of your baby in your arms.

shelley
www.letsgototaiwan.blogspot.com

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Good call on staying the extra days and good call on the Beef Noodles (牛肉麵)! Taiwan is the place to go for beef noodles. Have it often as everyone has their own version. Some are "light", like a pho and some are spicy and "heavy". For the latter, I'd recommend YongKang Beef Noodles (永康牛肉麵). It's in an alley way off of Yong Kang Street. This would be worth seeking out as there is a well known restaurant next to it call East Gate Dumplings (東門水餃 - this place is also good for "jiaozi"). Should be easy to find and it's not too far from the AIT. The beef noodle place it a bit hectic, you'll end up sharing tables and it could be daunting to order... but oh so good.

Have a great time in Taipei. It's a busy 24/7 city but a interesting place to walk around in.

I hear Megan waking up from a nap (read: no time to finish typing...) I'll try and dig up the addresses of those restaurants later.

Cheers,
Kevin

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

I've had people confuse Taiwan and Thailand, too...funny. Anyway, hope the rest of your preparations go well, and email me if you have any more questions.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Can't believe you will be traveling in a week. That's so exciting. Can't waitfor you to have Ryan and to follow your trip.In response to your comment on my blog, yout with JOtH right. We originally were going to go with them for China. Has the Vietnam program ever opened?

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Found some English info on the beef noodle place I mentioned above: Taipei Times Review of YongKang Beef Noodles. The jiaozi place is here: TungMen Jiaozi Guan

Have fun!

Kevin

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Tisra said...

I can't wait to see those Gotcha Day photos and hear how lovely it is to have your son in your arms. Only a few days!

Tisra
adopting from Taiwan, waiting for referral

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I can't wait to see all the pictures. I get the same thing about Thai and Taiwanese anything. You are going to have an awesome trip

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Texan in Taiwan said...

Hi Karin & Rob,

I'm sooo excited for you!!! By my estimates you're on the plane right now! Can't wait to see an update... hope you can get a little sleep on the plane so you'll be fresh when you meet the little guy!

Godspeed!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home