Saturday, January 31, 2009

St. Croix photos, part 6



On our last full day of vacation, I took a morning boat trip to Buck Island, which is a (largely underwater) national park off the north shore of St. Croix. People visit Buck Island primarily to snorkel the reef off the east side of the island, but the initial stop at Turtle Beach on the west side was worth the trip in itself. The water is crystal clear and an unbelievable shade of green-blue.












Picture of the east side of Buck Island (no beach on this side). The reef is behind where I took this picture from the boat.


Due to the current that day, we weren't able to snorkel the full length of the "underwater trail" (which is marked by bright blue tiles on the ocean floor), but the coral structures were fascinating, and I saw 2 stingrays and 3 barracudas, along with all the usual tropical fish. I wish I had taken an underwater camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home